I have been a beekeeper for ten years and currently look after 35 bee hives. When I heard about the small hive beetle arriving in Europe, I started looking for a pest management strategy. I wanted to prepare myself in the best possible way in order to be ready for Aethina tumida. After days of research I came to the conclusion that there are neither traps nor other pest control methods on the market which would meet my needs. Therefore, I started the project “Small Hive Beetle Trap”. For its development I defined the following parameters:
- ATHINA TUMIDA MUST BE CAUGHT BEFORE ENTERING THE BEE HIVE
- NO POISON, NO OIL OR ADHESIVE STRIPS ARE USED
- MULTIPE USAGE, THEREFORE NO ADDITIONAL SUBSEQUENT COSTS
- OPTIMAL NEED-BASED SIZE TO ENSURE THE TRAP CAN BE USED BY AS MANY APICULTURISTS AS POSSIBLE
- ENABLES EASY ENTERING BUT PREVENTS LEAVING THE TRAP
- SUITABLE FOR SERIES PRODUCTION AND LIGHT WEIGHT TO SAVE SHIPPING COST
I studied the behaviour patterns of the small hive beetle in uncountable documentaries and videos. I soon realised, that very quickly after entering a bee hive, the beetle searches for a crack or gap inside the hive where it is protected from the resident bees and can recover from arrival stress. This knowledge provided the ideal starting point - the beetle is offered exactly what it searches and prefers. Bee Solutions GmbH has the vision to develop chemical-free, mechanical traps for worldwide usage to attack this pest effectively.